Monday, February 20, 2006

Response to Super Sports blog entry

This is a response from my buddy John "Doc" Peery of Sac-Town, CA. to the last entry.

"I think you are ignoring the benefit of college sports in promoting the image of the school, generating revenue for recruiting, and fostering school spirit. I may be wrong but I think most of the football programs in the US college system are self supporting and I think they also generate enough revenue to pay for the less popular sports programs, which wouldn't exist otherwise. So they don't take money away from academics - and I don't think money is the whole problem in academics anyway, but that is another debate.

"I think you also ignore how the pro sports give kids athletic motivation. Do you think if there was no NFL, that all the kids in America would be playing sandlot football all the time? Probably not. It is the role models, and I use that term loosely, that give kids something to shoot for. Watching pro sports, in all their overhyped glory drives us all to want to do something physical. It is our own fault if we choose not to.

"Aside from that, I was totally bored and unimpressed with the superbowl. It was so anticlimactic.

What about the Olympics? I love the olympics. I am obsessed. I've watched every minute of coverage so far. Yeah Tivo. I am looking for a place to get into Curling, but it is hard to find a place to go for that. Too bad most of our athletes are such prima donnas though. I still love it. I almost cry every time I see us on the podium with the national anthem playing.

Later,

JP"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home